Shortly after the incorporation of IMA more than 40 years ago, the company’s founders showed true vision and commitment to the community by creating the IMA Foundation. With employee owners at the core of our business, the goal of the IMA Foundation is to represent the passions of our associates and make strategic contributions within the foundation focus areas.
IMA Foundation Vision: Empowering our communities to create opportunities which protect assets and make a difference.
IMA Foundation Mission: To provide philanthropic support in the communities where we work and live.
IMA Foundation Grant Process
Note: Deadlines are April 1 and October 1 of each year.
Step 1: Determine Elegibility to Apply
- Organizations must email the IMA Foundation and include "LOI" in the subject line with a one paragraph explanation of how your organization’s mission matches the foundation’s funding guidelines.
- After an IMA Foundation review, you will receive a response as to your organization’s eligibility.
- If your organization is a good fit for funding, you will be invited to submit a Letter of Inquiry inclusive of the information outlined below in Step 2.
- Letters of Inquiry are due by either April 1 or October 1 each year.
- Letters of Inquiry are reviewed after these deadlines. Organizations will be notified within three to four weeks after these deadlines if they are invited to submit a full grant application.
Legal Nonprofit – The organization must be a 501c3 nonprofit organization to be considered for IMA Foundation funding.
Focus Area – The nonprofit’s mission must clearly address one of the Foundation’s focus areas. If needed, please call the IMA Foundation for clarification. The focus areas are defined as:
Goal: To reduce the drop-out rate and offer a chance for quality futures to our young people. This will be done by supporting organizations whose missions are to provide:
- Mentoring programs
- After school programs
Goal: To support educational institutions so that our young people graduate with increased skills and knowledge, resulting in a higher-skilled workforce in the future. This will be done by supporting:
- Educational Institutions
- K-12 public education
- Higher education
ARTS AND CULTURE
Goal: To improve the quality of life in our communities through the arts. This is done by supporting:
- Cultural institutions
- Arts in Education programs that offer arts education programming in public schools
Geography – The IMA Foundation only gives to nonprofit organizations located in and serving the communities where IMA has offices. Those are:
- Kansas City
Step 2: Letter of Inquiry
Please provide the following information in the Letter of Inquiry. The LOI should not exceed four pages in 11 point font.
- Legal name of the organization requesting funding
- Submission date of LOI
- The Focus Area under which your organization qualifies for funding
- Name, address, phone number and email address for the person who can answer questions about the proposal
- State whether the request is for programmatic, general operating or capital. Any capital requests should be preceded by a phone call.
- Amount requested (average grant sizes are $5k - $10k).
- Purpose and history of organization;
- Goals and objectives of program or project;
- Current status of project, including date the project was established and the anticipated duration;
- Description how the organization will use the funds to further its objectives;
- Organization’s annual budget;
- Copy of the organization’s IRS exemption letter.